Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Quotes from C.S. Lewis

I have been reading C.S. Lewis' "Reflections on the Psalms" and thought I would share a few gleanings from his writings:

"Of all bad men, religious bad men are the worst."

"Indeed what is commonly called 'sensitiveness' is the most powerful engine of domestic tyranny, sometimes a lifeflong tyranny. How we should deal with it in others I am not sure; but we should be merciless to its first appearances in ourselves."

"'Have I forgiven him for what he did that day? I've forgiven him more times than I can count.' For we find that the work of forgiveness has to be done over and over again. We forgive, we mortify our resentment; a week later some chain of thought carries us back to the original offence and we discover the old resentment blazing away as if nothing had been done about it at all. We need to forgive our brother seventy times seven not only for 490 offences but for one offence."

No comments: